Licensing – Additional Information


Moving Resident License to a New “Home” State

Please visit each state’s website or call the department of insurance for specific details .  Generally you will be required to get a “good standing” or “clearance” letter from your current  resident state, indicating you are in good standing (typically can get this through the state’s website). You will then need to surrender your Resident license.  Next, you will need to apply for a Resident License in your new home state and send the clearance letter.  Once that is approved  you will then need to apply for a Non-Resident license in your old home state. 

 There will be a period of time that you will be “unlicensed” and unable to write business; also, there may be a short exam required by your new resident state and/or a state specific CE course prior to the issuance of your new resident license.         


Continuing Education Credits

Most state Department of Insurance websites have a link directing to Continuing Education (CE) credits on file for an agent.  Prior years are usually listed as well.   

Also, several states have CE credits listed through the following:

     State Based Systems (SBS)




     Producer’s Edge         


Adding a Line of Authority to an Existing License

Resident License - To add another line of authority to your Resident license, all pre-licensing courses and exams for that line of authority where/when applicable. 

Non-Resident License – Apply as you did for the original license, requesting only the new line of authority needed.

Fees – Expect to pay for the following:

  • Exam(s)
  • Fingerprints
  • License fees    
  • NIPR and SIRCON will charge a small  fee for using their online service


Reinstatement of License/Late Renewals

All states are different when handling late renewals and reinstatements for expired licenses.  Few states have a grace period; some will charge late fees and allow the renewal as normal.  Others require the licensing process to be completed again.  Contact the state’s Department of Insurance.  You can find this information on our website under “Licensing by State”. 

TIP:  Keep a list of your state licenses with their expiration dates!  Late fees can be VERY expensive.  For example, a non-resident IL state license is $250 for two years.  If the renewal is late and it has been within the last 2 years of your expiration date, a late fee of $250 plus the renewal fee of $250 will be required.


Printed vs. Mailed License 

Many states will not mail paper licenses; they must be printed directly from their state websites.  Here are some helpful tips on how you can receive your license:

Print license via once approved:

  • Colorado             
  • Georgia               
  • Idaho                  
  • Indiana
  • Minnesota                        
  • Mississippi          
  • Nevada
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming          

Print licenses via once approved:

  • Alabama                         
  • Delaware                        
  • District of Columbia            
  • Illinois                             
  • Iowa                                
  • Maryland                        
  • Missouri                          
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia

Print license via state Department of Insurance website:

  • Alaska                             
  • Arizona                          
  • California                        
  • Connecticut                   
  • Hawaii                             
  • Louisiana
  • New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Washington 

Paper license mailed directly to producer:

  • Arkansas
  • Delaware
  • Massachusetts
  • Texas

Perpetual licenses are issued by the following states.  Printed licenses are not required, nor will they me mailed.  Keep the original license:

  • Florida
  • Maine
  • Michigan
  • New Mexico
  • Kentucky